Tuesday, February 27, 2007

History Lesson

Melissa, your comments in yesterday's post gave me an idea for today's entry, lol :). I have been getting a lot more traffic here recently and since I've been talking about Carrie's wedding quite a bit, and will more than likely continue doing so since we're getting closer to the wedding date, a lot of people don't know who Carrie is and why I'm so involved with her wedding, lol. Here's your history lesson for the day.

Carrie and I have been best friends for 10 years now. We were both born in Fredericton, in the month of August of 1978. We shared homeroom together in high school for 2 years, had neighboring lockers for two years and are sitting beside each other in our class photo...but it wasn't until we both got a job at a gas station in 1997 that we became the best of friends that we are today.

Carrie and I share the same bizarre, stupid humor and we're both smart a$$es, so we always have lots to laugh about. Carrie understands me completely, I never have to explain things out to her...she always knows. She's knows me as well as I know myself. I know I can always count on her to be there for me, for anything. She's such an important part of my life, I don't know what I'd do without her.

In spring of 2003, Carrie got accepted to the Honors in Social Work program at Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario. We were living together in downtown Fredericton at the time and I was so sad to be losing her as a roommate and for her to be moving out of province as well. Carrie and I spent so much time together, that I knew that my life would be forever changed with her moving.

With Carrie's move to Thunder Bay, my life did indeed change. I no longer had Carrie with me everyday, but she was never far from my thoughts...or the telephone :). Ryan moved into my downtown apartment to take over Carrie's old room. Ryan and I had know each other for 6 years prior to his moving in, but it took his moving into the apartment for us to kindle a relationship other than friendship, so I guess if Carrie had never moved to Thunder Bay, Ryan and I may not have gotten together.

Carrie finished up her Honor's degree in the spring 2004 and moved back to Fredericton. To say I was happy with her return home, was an understatement. In the fall of 2004, Carrie landed a great job with the provincial government of Ontario in a small community called Waterford and was once again on the move. I admired her ability and courage to head off on her own to a strange community and start a new life for herself. I don't think I would have been able to do that on my own.

In February 2005, I boarded a plane for the very first time in my life and flew up to see my Carrie girl for a week. It was a fabulous trip, with us venturing together to Niagara Falls and Toronto. In the summer of 2005 Carrie met Chris, her now fiance and they knew that they would be together forever. In October 2005, I flew up to see Carrie again and got to meet Chris. Never before had I seen a better matched couple. I was so happy for Carrie and knew we'd be seeing an upcoming wedding soon, lol. Although I knew in my heart that Carrie and I would probably never live in the same city again, I was so happy for her.

In July of 2006, Chris popped the question to Carrie. Carrie accepted of course with the terms that they could get married in Fredericton, seeing as she will spend the rest of her life with Chris in Ontario. Chris agreed that this was a good decision. Two days after the engagement, Carrie's grandmother passed away. It was a bittersweet time, we were sad with her grandmother's passing, but happy and excited at the same time for the engagment. With Carrie home for a week at this time, we started planning her wedding and she even found her dress.

With Carrie living in Ontario and getting married here in Fredericton, I have been taking care of a lot of the planning. I feel honored that Carrie trusts me and my judgement for such an important event in her life.

I love ya my Carrie girl! I can't wait until your big day and to celebrate with you and your new husband!

No comments: