Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Early Start, Short Day

I rose earlier than usual this morning, because I had to take my car into the dealership to fix the problem from yesterday. I found some info on the internet about the problem I was having and called the dealership up yesterday and told them that I wanted the thing fixed and I was not paying anything to have it repaired. Here's what I found on the net:

The grease in the ignition switch is freezing and/or hardening so that the ignition switch can not engage. The dealer must recall all of these vehicles and replace the ignition switch and grease. They apparently have a redesigned switch, which certainly can be construed as an admission to the faulty design. Of course, this type of remedial measure cannot be used in court, but is certainly helpful to those of us consumers who are the victims of the faulty design.

So basically, they know about the problem, as they've redesigned this switch, but the won't recall the vehicles and will only fix it for you, if the problem so happens to you before your car hits the 50,000 km warranty cap AND if you bitch at them long and hard enough to fix it.

I've loved my car from the minute that I bought it, but this experience has left a very sour taste in my mouth. My Dad tells me "It's not your make of car...any car make does things like this, to save a buck" (meaning not recalling the problem and taking the "wait and see if it happens to customers" attitude) and I know he's right. It just pisses me off! You work your ass off to spend your hard earned money on a car that you believe is reliable, it's just frustrating.

So I have to leave work early today to go pick up my dang car. My Dad is picking me up after he's off work at 4:30 and we're going up to get it. I'm glad he's going to be there for back up incase they try and tell me that I owe them money for an oil change or some other BS that I did not ask them to do to my car. I made it very clear on the phone yesterday that I was not paying them a cent today.

1 comment:

poet said...

oh the joys of warranty work and all that. sorry you have a short day, but that isn't all bad, right? i parked LT2 on the left of the car park yesterday and i was pretty sure i was beside your car. that is a nice car. nobody's fault that it occured. every vehicle has their issues, like your dad said. and dealers, don't even get me started on them. i am sticking to buying our cars from my mechanic, he is the "mike holmes" of the car world, at least to me. and he would never steer me wrong, i have great faith and trust in his word, and i have never had a moments trouble since he became my mechanic.