Friday, January 25, 2008

Weather and Blood

Holy Fudge. Minus thirty today. This is ridiculous! I am so finished with winter...not that I was ever wanting it to be here to begin with. I hate winter with a passion. The bitter cold, the shovelling, the blinding snowbanks that cause you to almost get "clipped" daily, the extremely high power bills trying to keep the home above "shiver" level. It's crazy. I honestly can't remember a winter this bad...ever. I know we've had them, but I just can't remember exactly when, so I'm assuming the last time was when I was a child/adolescent. When I had better things to do than to b*tch about the weather, lol.

That's how I know I'm "aging", lol. I don't want to say "getting old" as my *cough* 30th birthday is this year, which I don't really consider to be "getting old", however I am starting to climb up the "aging" latter. Anyway, I know I'm "aging" because I now watch the weather channel religiously. Before I could care less what the weather was like out there. Not the case anymore. I plan my day/week around the weather now. I was excited for today to be here for example, because they 14 day forecast came up until the 8th of February today. That's the day I leave to fly to Carrie's, so I was happy to see that a "sun" is predicted for the 8th. Although I must say I'm getting disappointed with the weather network and finding it less reliable. For example, the temperature this morning said -27 degrees on the weather channel. There's a billboard I drive by on my way to work and the billboard said -30 this morning. Also when we're expecting big snow storms, the weather network passes it off until shortly before the snow storm gets here (we're talking like an hour before) and then posts the warning. They also post the predicted snow amount at about 50% less than what we do get and what Environment Canada says.

So I had a scary experience at work on Wednesday. They were having a blood clinic here for a few hours to determine your blood type. I think they're trying to drum up people to donate blood. I ate lunch and then thought what the heck, I don't know what my blood type is and maybe I should start donating, so I went to the clinic. They took my blood, told me my type and I went on my merry way. I started back up to work after my lunch break, took 1 call and I started to feel all weird. I fainted once before, last January out at Ryan's parent's house and I started feeling exactly how I felt right before I fainted the last time. This time too my hearing was getting echoed and fading in and out and I was also literally seeing stars - meaning bursts of light would stream by when I blinked. I went to a supervisor and they said "You look terrible, are you alright"? I said "No, I just went to that blood thing and I don't feel well at all", then I started to keel over, lol, but I didn't lose contiousness completely though this time. I had some chocolate and orange juice and layed down in the first aid room for a bit and was alright after about an hour. My arms were jello-y for the rest of that day, but I'm fine now. I just can't donate blood ever, lol. It was very strange because they only took two little vials of blood from me, so it wasn't like I lost a lot of blood. I've cut myself before and lost more blood than this. I'm also not a squemish person and needles don't bother me, therefore I wasn't freaked out about the whole taking my blood thing at all. So, the experience on Wednesday wasn't psychological either. It's very strange.

1 comment:

Terry aka Funky said...

How you enjoying this heat wave today then ?

Count down those days till your trips by the sounds of it they will be good ones !