Tuesday, August 7, 2007

NB Day Weekend Report

So the weekend of camping was great and filled with lots of fun. I left work on my lunch break at 4 p.m., made a couple of stops to get gas, a few last minute grocery items and some ice, then went home, loaded up the car and headed off to Shane and Val's to meet her and kids and follow them up to Woolastook. When we got the campground Shane and Ryan had just gotten back from kayaking and had the place all set up for us with the tents up and tarps up over the picnic and campfire area, with the rain forecasted for the evening, we were well prepared.

Valerie and I were sent on a wild goose chase in search of extension cords that they forgot at home. We drove all over God's green earth and finally ended up in Harvey (I know, I know, it would have been easier to go home) and got a couple of cords there. We get back to the campsite to discover that they weren't the right ones. Shane wanted ones with the multi unit on the end. These were just the single jobbies. Oh well, lol. By this point it was dark and we were just getting around to cooking supper. We ate, got the kids into bed and it started pouring rain. It didn't matter to us though as we had our tarps up and were nice and dry and even having a campfire under the tarps in the rain - much to the envy of other campers I'm sure.

Saturday we got up and had breakfast. We then drove to Mactaquac park and hung out on the beach for a few hours, making sand castles, swimming and enjoying an ice cream cone. From there we went back to the campground and decided to go boating. Ryan and Shane went out in the two kayaks we brought and Val and I rented a canoe and took the kids out in that. About 1/2 hour into our paddle we spotted some huge dark clouds and saw that a storm was rolling in. We were I'm guessing at least 10 km's from shore so Val and I paddled with all our might to get us back to shore. We made it in safely with the storm by-passing us (better safe than sorry) and the kids freaking out while out in the water and also with some sore shoulders later, lol.

Back to the campsite we went from there. We had supper and lounged around waiting for it to get dark. Once darkness started to fall, we all piled into Shane's truck and drove down to the beach where we had some fireworks to set off. We got down there and then another crew of campers came with fireworks that put ours to shame, so needless to say we had a great show.
We went back and put the kids to bed and started round two of beers and campfire, although we weren't as energetic on Saturday night as we were on Friday, which is usually the case when camping.

Sunday we had breakfast, packed up and headed home. I was exhausted! Ryan went and spent the afternoon and evening with his friend Pete who was up from Halifax. I did laundry at my brother's house so I could use his computer to upload some pictures while there and then went up to my parent's place as my Dad and brother had just gotten back from spending the weekend in Montreal. They went to the Nascar races and had a great time. I worked yesterday, so it wasn't a long weekend for me. Ryan went to Chipman and was in the parade for NB Day there with a car from work.

No comments: