Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Would It Kill Ya To Throw Down Some Sand?

When I came downstairs this morning and looked out my picture window, I got the feeling of Christmas. I love Christmastime and I honestly got that special Christmas-y feeling looking out the window. There was snow everywhere. Granted this wasn't the first snowfall we've seen here in the past month, it was the first snowfall I had seen at my own house (remember, I was out at Ryan's parent's place when it snowed the first time and was then all melted when I got off work). Yes it's true, I do hate snow, but for a very small fraction of time it made me feel good today. Now I can't wait to break out the Christmas decorations!

I brushed off my car and left for work. My tires were spinning underneath me as I changed my transmission from reverse to first gear. No biggie, my street is covered in snow. They rarely plow side streets unless it's a huge amount of snow. I'm thinking "By the time I get to the main road, it will be fine". Wrong. Oh how very wrong! There was not a grain of sand to be found on any of the city streets. I couldn't believe it. We had gotten more snow this falling than the previous and after the first snowfall, my car was covered in sand that salt brine stuff that they put down on the roads. There was nothing down today. There were cars slipping and slidding everywhere, missing the turn off to the bridge, missing streets all together, it was nuts. I was shocked that the city wasn't out there doing something, considering that in about 30 minutes time it would be the big "quarter to eight" rush for everyone to get to work. I took my time and drove very slowly and made it to work no problem, but the radio was saying there were a lot of accidents in the area.

The long weekend passed by too quickly. Friday Ryan rented the Fantastic Four (another movie that I did not enjoy one bit, lol). Saturday Ryan had to work. I went shopping with my brother to help him pick out some dress clothes and we went out for lunch. Saturday night Ryan and I went over to Shane and Valerie's for the evening. Another friend Mike was over there as well. Sunday I went to my parent's place for dinner and rented Knocked Up for Ryan and I to watch that evening. I've been wanting to see it for a while now and Ryan hadn't wanted to. While we were at Shane's place on Saturday night, Mike was saying how good the movie was, so of course Ryan was willing to watch it now. Figures eh, lol. Yesterday we didn't do anything, it was a super lazy day. We were debating going shopping in the US for just a day since we couldn't get any hotel rooms in Bangor for the weekend, but we didn't even do the day trip. I was fine with that though, as I'm a little short on cash at the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i had some fun slippin' and a slidin' working yesterday. oh the joys of winter driving. what gets me is that i slow down, i leave lots of room between my car and the car ahead of me, but there are so many people who do not. they just rush, rush, rush, and they are the ones we must watch out for. since i am driving for a living now, i have really gotten my eyes opened to the poor driving habits of those in our fair city. i was also reading an article or two in our daily news....laughable when you think about it. we live in a city that receives snow. it is getting on in the year when the weather can change from one season to the next in one day. adjust. take care and be a courteous and respectful driver.

how are things in hell this week?