Thursday, July 10, 2008

Lucky Night

My Aunt Nancy runs a canteen on Wednesday nights at local regular sporting event. On Tuesday night she called me and said one of her teens she has working for her wasn't able to come in for her shift and asked if I could give her a hand and cover the shift for her. I told her sure! I can always use some extra cash (I'm trying to save up now for the astronomical heating bills this winter, so straight to the bank I went this morning).

This canteen has always been a family affair so to speak. My mother worked there when I was very young. My Aunt Nancy started working there when my mom was there and has been there ever since, eventually taking it over. My cousin Krissy worked with us last night, my cousin Chris and his wife Sharla and their daughter Janelle were there and my cousin Susan was there also. The later part of the crew being spectators, not working. It was nice to see them as it had been a while. It seems that I only see family at funerals, so this was definately a happier occasion.

I only worked a couple of hours last night, but came home a hundred bucks richer. No, my Aunt doesn't pay that well. What happened was we bought some 50/50 tickets and didn't us canteen girls win! We split our winning and pocketed 75 bucks from the 50/50 and then the 25 bucks I earned, gave me 100 bucks total. I was definately glad to have had the opportunity to work last night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, there you are. that is good about the winnings. we have been scraping by these past few months. soon, it will be alright, i start my new job at barrett contact centre this coming monday. just gotta get used to getting paid on the 15th & 30th of each month. considering i have had 0 income since april, i am sure it will be easy to get used to again.

mom is settling in nicely to her new home, now to get the rural one sold. real estate lady did an updated assessment of housing market in the area, and it was decided to lower the price. now, hopefully, there will be some action on that front.

take care, and how are things going with work? miss seeing you.

Anonymous said...

what you said about your work sounds pretty fishy to me. leave while you can, run....kelly,,,,run!!!!!

seriously though, i have a name of the HR man, and his email, lots or references for you i have some names of our former cendantites (new word)

i'll send you a facebook message with that stuff....take care, poet